Monday 29 August 2011

Ultra Racing Fender Braces - Full Review

Fitment:


Not an easy job. Fitting these took me about 7hrs altogether. This is not ultra racing's fault. But the fact that I had to fuck around with the big wiring harness underneath the wheel arch and short circuited the indicator circuit.... Also takes a few goes to line the door back up again.
The braces themselves are relatively high quality. The welds are decent, however the cuts on the end plate (the plate that is bolted to the fender frame) are rather sketch... as illustrated in this pic:


Ahh I was being a bit negative there.. The braces aren't something I'd want to be making myself, as there are some funky bends here and there and some tight bracket work to make them fit. And credit to the fabricators at ultra racing because they fit rather well. So for $160 posted to your door I'd save yourself the stress and just go and buy a pair. Fitment requires drilling of two holes for the end plates and also bend a small body extrusion from the car in this area:


Driving Impression:
 I hope it wasn't my head fucking with me because as soon as the moment my car twisted down my driveway it felt different. There was waayy less twist and it hopped off the gutter much more solidly.mGoing up my road and over familiar bumps the car felt bumpier, the front end generally stiffer.. This was fucking good and I hadn't even begin to hit the corners yet!

As I threw the car into various corners, S bends, off camber, on camber, etc the car showed more sign of oversteer than before. I'm entering corners on the overrun, 0% throttle, and the tail just tucks around the corners... like the optimum slip angle I'd like to think..haha. The front end just stays so planted, understeering is a thing of the past. I knew that S13's have flex issues especially in the front fender area but I can't believe how much of a difference these things make on an S13 chassis. Pretty sure these improvements are not psychological in proportion to the amount of time and effort I spent on fitment.. lol
I recommend this modification to anyone.
The results achieved from fitting these will differ depending on alignment settings, sway bars, spring rates, etc. So keep that in mind - you might not get increased oversteer like I did. The objective here is to achieve ANY difference because it means that there definitely is handling-altering-flex at the front quarter of the S13's.

The issues you'd come across is the location of the wiring harness under the RHS fender.. and the ride becomes a bit bumpier. You dont have to relocate the wiring harness but to get your car to any decent level of lowness subjects the harness to some high level of tyre rape. And you really don't want to be risking this because its a head fuck to fix if it fucks out. I just pulled mine over the fender brace, got rid of the thick conduit and used felt tape to insulate it so that the fender (standard fender) would still fit. Clearance is tight here. Sorry I don't have a photo of this. 

3 comments:

  1. Vilko says:
    I got linked here from the tech article call out on ns. Good article and info on the measured effects.Just to clarify, do these mount outside the door hinges?
    I'm guessing you line up the doors just by loosening the nuts and lifting them onto the right angle?

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, thanks!

    Yeah the fender braces mount on top of the door hinges otherwise the door will sit like 5mm out. So basically you just loosen the bolts on the hinges and align the door with the jack on the other end - the door hinges have large holes so the adjustment range is quite big, you can get it very wrong and completely stop your door from closing - so take it slow. Its a trial and error thing and it takes a while - a tip I'd like to add is to line the door up first and then drill the holes in the body for the fender afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, iam just wondering, do you wire harness tuck above the frame or still at original position. Does harness tuck fit perfectly between the fender and the brace?

    ReplyDelete