Sunday 5 August 2012

Gktech S13 Rear Subframe Locking Collar - Review

Image from gktech

Fitment is a breeze. Shouldn't take you any longer than an hour. Simply loosen the four main rear subframe nuts, remove the 12mm bolts securing the brackets at the two front corners of the subframe and slip the upper collars in (the C shaped rings). Using a pry bar will make things easier here. Take one subframe nut off at a time to install the lower collars (O shaped rings). Using a jack to raise the subframe to expose some extra threads for the nuts is required. Tighten the four main nuts back up evenly across the subframe to complete the job. 

After installation the tail will feel much better connected to the rest of the car. Ever since I had been running 595 RSR's I've been getting axle tramp when launching but these locking collars have eliminated the tramp. And this was on completely OEM bushings in the rear suspension. The improvements in handling feel was felt even more when I took it for a spirited drive at my local stretch of mountain road. I think this has to be the best $49 I've spent on my car.

The cons? Well, I'm running a damperless Nismo clutch and the vibrations from the driveline is further exaggerated with these locking collars fitted but I'm fairly confident that if you're not running a dampened clutch (ie a clutch disc with cushion springs) you'd hardly feel any increased vibrations/road noise than standard.

I love them. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment