Monday 16 April 2012

Wakefield Park Track day - 15th April 2012

So I had a blast at Wakefield Park yesterday.

There was a lot of traffic and I didn't manage to get a clear run for the entire day but it was all good fun.

It was an approximately 20C ambient day. Oil temp gauge started beeping at me when the temp reached 118C - a feature I didn't even know existed until now. Water temp was stable the entire day with the Koyo Radiator at around 95C and the bottom tank only lukewarm to touch. I didn't push it any further when the oil temp gauge started beeping. Although I hear that Motul 300V can take 150C easily.
I'm trying to avoid running an oil cooler due to the potential loss in oil pressure and also the added clutter in the engine bay. The aim is to keep it simple. If I did run one I'd have one with a thermostat. Next track day I'll try an extended oil pan of some sort (Tomei style) and see how the oil temps go. If it still gets too hot then I'll run an oil cooler.

Federal RSR's were sweeeet. Had them on the hume highway from Sydney to Goulburn too. No issues. They are extremely quiet for this sort of tyre. Still plenty of life left in them. I'm not a sharp enough driver to properly review these tyres so I wont. All I can say is that they're very versatile and liveable and I didn't experience any fade away in my 20 minute sessions. Note: Take care when mounting to the rim - sidewalls are damn thick!
Cold pressures ranged from 29psi-33psi to reach an equal 35-36psi on track. Next time I might try running a bit less.

Track days are great for revealing any set up issues and weaknesses of the car that you would not recognise on the street. Things like oil temperatures, brake bias and alignments hardly noticed/felt when street driving become very obvious on the track. I also had a minor oil leak from the front main seal that was revealed only when the oil temps reached its peak. It stopped leaking on the highway cruise home.
So there are a few aspects here and there that I would like to address before my next visit. But all in all, it was a great day.

Fastest lap for me for the day was 1:13.8




2 comments:

  1. Nice time!
    Shame about the main seal, have fun fixing that one

    The sil is almost ready to rumble with those caster rods of yours, thanks again.

    Also, there is drifting at the creek tomorrow and saturday nights, I think I'll head out saturday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope its the main seal, and not the timing case.. haha

    Sweet man, good to hear. Have a blast my man!

    ReplyDelete